VPS Server Security tips, Here's How
When creating a WordPress Platform Website, of course, we need a hosting package, while currently there are many web hosting service providers in Indonesia that have various hosting packages. This of course will make us confused about which hosting package to choose. Each hosting has its own features and advantages and one of the best hosting package options today is a Virtual Private Server, more familiarly called VPS.
Maintaining VPS Server Security is a very important thing for those of you who work and work as a Blogger. Where if we underestimate and think VPS is not important, it is very risky to the security of VPS servers that are easy to use and hacked by irresponsible parties. but before discussing how to maintain the security of the VPS Server, let's first discuss the meaning of the VPS Server itself.
What is a VPS Server?
VPS stands for Virtual Private Server which is one of the many choices of web hosting service packages that are supported by virtualization technology where VPS provides special (private) resources on a server even though it is used by multi-users so performance from the website is not affected by other users.
Generally, the owner of a website uses a VPS to cover website traffic that has reached a high amount of traffic and has even reached the recommended usage threshold for shared hosting. therefore VPS can be the right choice to cover the appropriate needs in a condition where you do not need resources from a dedicated server.
What is the function of a VPS?
After understanding what a VPS is, let's talk about the functions of a VPS that we must know. Here are some of the functions of the VPS with a brief explanation.
1. web Hosting
VPS is a place to store website data and files securely with the right resources for websites with the high visitor traffic.2. Game Server
In addition to functioning as a Web Hosting, VPS can also be used as a game server. With a VPS, we can freely do various things related to the need for online games such as installing games, making play sessions, creating special game collections, and so on.
3. VPN services
VPS can be used as a place to create an independent VPN that allows us to manage and store data securely without the intervention of third parties.
4. developing and Testing Applications
VPS can be used for the purposes and needs of installing tools in the application development process ranging from desktop, website, and mobile applications that can be used as a place for application testing before publication.
5. Data backup
One of the benefits of a VPS that is no less important is that it can be used as a place to backup server data to minimize data loss due to corrupt files, accidentally deleted, misconfiguration, or data breach occurred.
When to use a VPS?
The right time to use a VPS is when the website you manage has reached the recommended limit for using shared hosting resource packages. apart from that, other factors require us to use VPS hosting from the start to build a website, for example, Website eCommerce which requires a VPS server so that the process of setting up online payment methods can be a safer and more convenient, and faster high level of security from the risk of account data theft.
VPS servers are also suitable for use on websites with high traffic for a certain period, such as online ticket sales websites, and game server websites that require large resources with more performance both of which can be met with VPS hosting.
Pros and Cons of VPS
The advantages of VPS
From the brief explanation above, of course, we have started to understand the benefits and advantages of VPS servers, including:
- VPS is reliable for its speed when compared to shared hosting servers with guaranteed resource servers.
- Superuser access (root) to the VPS server. when there is a problem with the website and website traffic of other users, our website will not be disturbed and affected because we can maintain stability properly independently.
- Availability of services that are easy to scale, which allows us to be able to upgrade resources server (CPU, bandwidth, RAM, disk space, and others. to maximize website performance for a better and full power that allows bringing in a lot of visitors.
Disadvantages of VPS
Although VPS has many interesting advantages when compared to Shared Hosting Servers turns out that VPS also has drawbacks that we need to know as follows:
- VPS prices are relatively more expensive than shared hosting where there is a price there is quality related to the features and services you get.
- Errors in server configuration can pose a significant security risk. therefore we must be careful in maintaining server security.
- Requires us to have technical knowledge so that the server can be managed properly.
Tips to Improve VPS Server Security
- Set a Strong Password by creating a password that is complex but still easy to remember using a combination of letters, numbers, and symbols whenever possible. do not use password combinations that are common to others.
- Regular Operating System Checks and Updates. One of the easy steps to implement to increase the security of the VPS server is to update the Operating System regularly, where each new Operating System Update is equipped with the latest security system enhancements to prevent burglary.
- Update SoftwarePeriodically.When the latest Software Update is available, immediately update it to minimize Bugs, improve software performance and get interesting additional features.
- VPS Server User Access Control by restricting distributed access to prevent influences on resources and protect sensitive data.
- Disable Root Login to prevent hackers from using brute force methods
- Monitor Server Logs Regularly. Monitoring the server can be done by logging certain events such as authentication failure, upload failure, and some other technical errors.
- Use Anti-Virus to protect the server from malware and detect unauthorized activity. reasonable and filter files
- Disable Unnecessary Network Ports. Usually, hackers use open port network loopholes and other unused services. Use the config command to disable unnecessary services and IP tables to close unused open ports.
- Enable Firewall. By activating the Firewall we can limit unwanted traffic on the VPS server, block certain IPs, close unused ports and protect the server from cyber-attacks.
- Prioritize Backup. by making backups we can avoid the risk of data loss that can damage a well-established reputation.
- Use a Rootkit Scanner to avoid malware. Rootkits attack and take control of servers that cannot be detected. by an anti-malware service standard
- Use SSL (Secure Socket Layers) to keep sensitive data safe.
- Use Imunify360 Server Protection which is an application Linux malware scanner that can be used to monitor and remove malware as well as monitor for suspicious activity.
- Enable Two-Factor Password Authentication. By activating Two Factor Password Authentication, server security will be more secure, where if there is an attempt to log in from a device that is not commonly used, it is required to enter a verification code sent to the owner's email or mobile number, or you can use Google Authenticator.
- Use the Right VPS Hosting where not all hosting providers have a good reputation regarding priority server security services
From the long description above, it can be concluded that VPS is one of the alternative hosting options as a place to store large files and also a suitable alternative service for those of us who need a web server with high website traffic.
If you are interested in using VPS, you can get Cheap Cloud VPS from NiagaHoster. there are several interesting VPS service options to try:
- Indonesian KVM VPS: KVM virtualization that supports dedicated resources for website performance is more optimally recommended for hosting and testing applications.
- CloudVPS Hosting: For large resource needs, easy to manage, at an affordable price Recommended for high-traffic websites.
- CyberPanel VPS Hosting: VPS service with dedicated panels with simple CyberPanel panels and user-friendly features
- cPanel VPS: VPS service with a special panel from cPanel with a WHM license to manage multiple hosting accounts at once
How about, Are you interested in using a VPS from Niagahoster? immediately visit NiagaHoster, and get server security and support for the best attractive features from Niagahoster!